Sunday, February 3, 2008

Weekend food blogging

I'm not as good about cooking during the week as I would like to be. The weekday schedule is highly variable, and it's questionable on any given day as to when dinner is going to happen. Even living in the south, it gets chilly, so I had been on a soup kick. Last weekend I made squash soup, which was excellent.

First you chop up some vegetables, and soften them in some olive oil and butter.
soup1.jpg

Then you cook them in chicken broth until the vegetables start to fall apart, puree them with a stick blender, and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
soup2.jpg

I've also been in cookie-baking mode, but I don't have the recipe perfected for these lovelies yet.
cookies.jpg
Once I get it just right, I'll share, but I'm still working out the details. Nothing better than a chocolate oatmeal chocolate chip and dried berry cookie. Yum!

I was hoping to do a bit more cooking today, but I'm feeling a bit under the weather.

I've also been reading a new book that came in the mail on Friday - Nigella Express. Thanks Bells, for introducing me to her recipes. I've been getting a kick out of reading the cookbook, and dreaming up what to make next. The recipes all sound mostly like guidelines, which is fine with me - she's got some lovely sounding ideas. I just read two reviews commenting about the refined sugar and fats found in the recipes, but I think that I can live with the occasional splurge... Food is for eating and enjoying.

Finished The Historian today. It was okay. I wouldn't recommend running out to find the book. Lots of atmosphere, not much in the way of a plot or character development. It wouldn't have suffered from some more judicious editing.

There's been knitting, but flickr is being strange and I can't see my photos, which means I have no idea which photo is which...

1 comment:

Bells said...

Oh I will look forward to that recipe very much!

And yes, the book is good, huh? My sister swears by the breakfast bars Nigella makes in that book. I'm dying to try them.

She does rely on bad stuff a lot but I just try to be a bit mindful of just how much Nigella cooking I do!