Friday, May 9, 2008

It was Friday



Yesterday was my birthday. It's one of the 5's. Somehow, this one isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would, despite the fact that I'm not where I thought I'd be in my life at this time.

I ended up having a really good day. The continuous construction at work was on hold as it was a state holiday - Confederate Memorial Day. Truly. Yes, I live in the South now. In any case, it was great to have a break from listening to drilling all day. Made a huge improvement on my mood. Then I went to happy hour with folks from work. Most of the ones I wanted to show up did, and the people I didn't really want to spend time with showed up briefly, then went away. Which was fine - I realize that I like the majority of people at my job, just not the ones I have most frequent contact with! And it was great to spend time with my boss, and have people telling stories. I like my nerdy friends, and I am at this point totally happy to not be around the "cool kids."

After happy hour, we went out to a delicious dinner. We split grilled scallops, salad with cucumber and onion and tomato crostini as a starter, then I had a chickpea soup (Hasa al Hummus) while my husband had vichyssoise. Mine was better, but his was delicious. Then for the main course, he had duck (wonderful) and I had gnocchi in veal ragu. Finally, we split a flourless chocolate cake. Honestly, the cake and the wine were the weakest part of the meal, but the food was amazing. One of those meals that causes me to close my eyes and take a moment while chewing.

I'm feeling a lot better than I have been. Still stressed about things, but taking charge of one of the bigger problems I've been having made a huge difference. I'll have to deal with the consequences on Monday, but that's for when the weekend is over. In the meantime, I have knitting, a little bit of new yarn (after all, it was a birthday) and I'm going to have some fun cooking this weekend. Because yes, this weekend is my own selfish time, and I'm going to enjoy it.

Hope everyone else is having an equally satisfying weekend too.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hope you're enjoying your relaxing weekend, and happy belated birthday :)